Thursday, January 8, 2009

Slave Labor

Growing up Jon says he always thought his parents had kids to do the things that they didn't want to do. I'm pretty sure my kids are starting to feel the same. Slowly I have decided that they are old enough to help out around the house a little more. Sadly, the kids don't feel the same. So they are now taking turns with doing dishes and folding towels and taking the garbage out. Sometimes I've found it's just easier to do it myself than to ask them to do it, but I think they really need to learn to help out more, and know that things around the house don't just do themselves! So here is my dilemma.. They think they need to be paid. Up until now I haven't paid for doing things like cleaning their room or feeding the dogs but now that they have a few more chores I'm wondering which way to lean. I personally wasn't paid for helping around the house, it was just expected and I'm pretty sure it was the same for Jon.

So I'm taking a poll.. To pay or not to pay, and what is a reasonable amount?? (Keeping in mind that I already pay for each of their cell phones!)


(I'm certain that one day his wife will thank me!)

5 comments:

dusty kay said...

Oh boy...I am with you on this. Its easier to just do it myself yet my kids are spoiled and have no idea the value of a dollar. I usually will start something then the whining is to much and I'm back to doing it.

We usually can't make it last long enough to get paid, but I tell them I'm not going to pay them if they whine. And since that's usually all they do....plus, I do pay for their phones as well and the cable tv in their rooms.

Good luck with this. I really need to get started with this. Keep posting about it and give me good ideas on things that your kids are doing...

Hunny said...

It builds character to have the kids help with the chores. Plus, it is a fact of life. (See Brooke for suggestions)
Cody just needs pocket money to support his snacks at school. Kelz just likes to flash her money...she likes to spend someone elses.
What else could your kids want? I would try and do something to teach them to save some money. It's a dying art...

Hunny said...

It builds character to have the kids help with the chores. Plus, it is a fact of life. (See Brooke for proof)
Cody just needs pocket money to support his snacks at school. Kelz just likes to flash her money...she likes to spend someone elses.
What else could your kids want? I would try and do something to teach them to save some money. It's a dying art...

Jameson.e said...

Well I can tell you what works with Austin and Katie... we made a chart of chores they could choose to do and the ones that had to be done. The chores that had to be done weren't worth anything (cleaning rooms etc), the other chores they could elect to do for dollar amounts ranging from $.50 to $1 (two a day per child was the minimum). The more they did, the more they got paid. BUT the rule is, if the mandatory chores weren't done all weel (and done well) they didn't get any money for the electives.... Kept track of it on a chart that they could initial as complete. They liked it.

Jameson.e said...

Well here is what Austin and Katie liked.

We had a chart of chores for each day. Mandatory chores (cleaning rooms etc) and electives (Minimum of 2 a day, but they could choose). Electives were worth anywhere from $.50 to $1 per day. They initial the chart to receive credit.
The catch is, if they do not complete the mandatory chores or they are not completed to your satisfaction what they have earned is wiped clean (you choose either day or weekly wipeout, we started with the week and went to day when they started getting the hang of it.)