
As you may already know.. I was diagnosed with Type 2 diabetes on April 21, 2009. So I've been dealing with, or not dealing with it for about a year now. I'll admit to not being really great about taking all my medication and doing all the things I should but I have made improvements to be healthier.
My diagnosis came with several pills I am supposed to take and I hate most of them!
Metformin.. to control blood sugar. This is by far the worst, and the one I am the least good about taking. It makes me so sick.
Hctz, or hydrochlorothiazide. This is for high blood pressure, and I have been taking it for about 5 years.
Hctz, or hydrochlorothiazide. This is for high blood pressure, and I have been taking it for about 5 years.
Crestor, for high cholesterol. Which mine isn't too bad anymore but as a diabetic you are at greater risk for heart attack so you are still supposed to take it.
Trilipix, also for cholesterol. It helps your triglycerides that somehow the first pill can't do all by itself.
and finally a cute little baby aspirin, a daily regimen to prevent heart attacks.
I have a few other pills I take not directly related to my diabetes, but with all these I average about 8-9 pills a day. Ugh. And each one comes with it's own special side effect or problem and I think I have really forgotten what it feels like to be normal again. Not to mention how much they all cost! I know I should feel lucky that it's type 2 and not 1 and that I don't have to do insulin injections and most days I do.. 

I'm supposed to test my blood sugar a few times a week, and I'm pretty good about that, but the numbers always are high when they should be low, and low when they should be high. I just don't get it.
So how did I get here?? I'd like to say genetics, and while that does play a big factor it's not everything. A lot of it is self inflicted. Too many years eating crap and not taking care of myself caught up with me. Type 2 diabetes is reversible, in a way. You can get to the point that you can control it all with diet and exercise, but I'm not there yet. I'm down 32 pounds. With plenty more to go. But every little bit helps. I'm hoping to make some more changes and improve things in our home for both myself and my family. I don't want my kids, or my siblings to go down the same path. I haven't been the best role model in that area for any of them, and I'm hoping to change that now! Wish me luck!
3 comments:
Keep up the good work. Sounds like your on your way to a healthy you.
Sara You are awesome! Good luck to you, and you have helped me out. Go healthy right.
I am so proud of you working to take control of your health and your life. What you are doing with Kelly is very inspirational, too. You should be so proud of what you're doing!!
Post a Comment