Today Kellie had her graduation from Rad Kids at school. It is a new program at her school and until today I wasn't too familiar with it, but the basic idea is to teach kids empowerment and self protection. Kind of like a practical lesson in stranger danger. The basics of being a Rad Kid is that no one has the right to hurt anyone else, you don't have the right to hurt anyone, including yourself, and if you can't get out of the situation, it's okay to protect yourself. I have to say I was shocked. 
They have a deputy from Utah County sheriff dress in a "Red Man" padded outfit and he simulates an attack on each kid, and they have to physically fight back. Watching this man touch my daughter and her try and fight him off, was for some reason very emotional for me. I'm not sure if it was because he was coming after my baby girl, or because she has learned to fend for herself a little, or if it was because I know first hand how real this situation can be and how easy it is for someone to trick or take your kids.. Having endured two child abductions at work it was terrifying to me just how real this situation can be. Anything can happen and our kids, especially our girls, should be prepared!
1 comment:
Our schools don't do this! I think it looks like a great program. Kellie is so cute!
Post a Comment