Posted by www.mamalaughlin.com, a very inspirational blogger I follow. I have cried every single time I have read this. So I'm sharing.
Dear Big Girl at the gym,
I see you there several times a week.
Your
face is always beet red and you are huffing and puffing and clearly
struggling.
You are wearing sweat pants and a big t-shirt.
I've seen you
at the back of the class trying so hard to keep up with everyone.
Modifying
the moves and doing the best you can.
I saw you slowly jogging on the
treadmill the other day!
I smiled so big and thought to myself "that is so
awesome!"
I was so happy for you!
I want to tell you a few
things...
I want to tell you that I'm proud of you.
I know it takes a
lot of courage to come to a gym when you feel out of place.
I know it's hard
to step out of your comfort zone and try a new class.
I know that all you
think you see around you is us "skinny girls."
That you think you can't
relate to "us."
That you think we've never been in your shoes.
That when
you see me in full makeup at the gym and my cute workout clothes that I've never
been overweight.
This could not be further from the truth.
I am in full
makeup because I come straight from work. I work full time.
And I come to the
gym before I pick up my kids.
Yes, I have kids.
Two of them.
Did you
know I used to work out in sweat pants and oversized t-shirts?
That once I
lost a bunch of weight, that buying cute workout clothes actually helped
motivate me to keep going?
I've been where you have been.
I've struggled
like you are.
It may not seem like it. I may put on a good "show". But I've
been there.
I KNOW it's hard. And I know that you probably feel like giving
up at times.
I remember the feeling of my shorts riding up while I was on the
treadmill.
Constantly tugging at them because my thighs rubbed together so
badly that it left chaffing marks on my legs.
I remember feeling like
everyone was watching me when I was "running", which was actually more of a jog
with a bounce.
I just knew that everyone was staring at my fat jiggling and
they were thinking "that's so gross" or "look at the fat girl run!"
I
specifically remember how I hated working out so much because it was just
another reminder of what I couldn't do, or how much I'd let myself go, or how
hard I was going to have to work to change.
I am proud of you Big
Girl.
I have wanted so badly to come up to you and give you some words of
encouragement.
To tell you that I think you're awesome!
To tell you that
IT DOES GET BETTER!
To not give up and to JUST KEEP GOING!
That with hard
work you will achieve your goals....
I don't want to single you out, make
you feel bad, or hurt your feelings in any way by telling you "I've been where
you are."
I don't want to intimidate you in any way. I just want you to know
I'VE BEEN THERE.
So instead I politely smile at you every time I see
you.
I hope that you can look past the clothes, the makeup, and the fairly
thin body, and see that I genuinely do care about you.
I hope you can look
past my smile and know that I've been where you've been.
Know that YOU
motivate ME, Big Girl.
And that you are capable of accomplishing ANYTHING you
set your mind to.
Love,
Just A Former Big Girl
Enough said I think...
Sara
No comments:
Post a Comment