This is a billboard campaign taking place right now in Georgia. I came across this on Jillian Michaels' Twitter page and I am so disappointed in people!
Why would you do this to a little girl?? And yes, she is still a little girl regardless of her size. I understand the message behind it but isn't this type of campaign just as bad as the pictures of emaciated super models that we find in magazines? They both have the power to make our little girls ashamed of their bodies and who they are.
Yes I agree that obesity is a huge problem in our society and I happily welcome any ideas to help combat it at a youth level so our children aren't fighting it at an adult level for their whole lives.. but isn't there a better way to do it than to shame our children?
Do these children really have any say in what they eat? Sure they can make choices but at the end of the day the problem lies with the parents first. School lunch is a disaster. There are health classes in our schools that teach nutrition and preach what not to eat and play movies like 'Super Size Me', then the kids are excused to go to lunch where every day they are offered chicken nuggets or nachos with cheese, or breadsticks. True there is also a salad bar but these are kids...what do you think they are going to choose?
Whatever the answer might be...this certainly isn't it. We should encourage our children to eat better, and turn off the TV and get off their butts, but we also need to build them from the inside and teach them to be confident and happy and self secure little people too.
There definitely has to be a better way.

1 comment:
That just breaks my heart.
Post a Comment